Pages

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Oh, what a life!

On Tuesday afternoon, I was trying to decide what to do for dinner.  My roommate had told me earlier that day that she would be attending a dinner hosted by the Ambassador of UNVIE that night, and, seeing as I had an invitation in my pocket in which “The Mayor and Governor of Vienna requests the pleasure of your company” at a cocktail reception (dinner, too!) at City Hall, I myself had plans for the evening.  So I took the Mayor and Governor of Vienna up on his offer and i went.

I had checked on how to get there beforehand but I wasn’t anticipating the 5 K Vienna Run that night, in which 100s or maybe even 1000s of people were running around the Ringstrasse, and of all places they congregated in front of the Rathaus.  So, the trams weren’t running so I had to walk a ways, and I had to make my way through huge crowds of people before asking some policemen who helped me find the right entrance.

The night was full of talking to people (or listening to them talk, as most everything discussed was beyond that of little, young, 20-year-old Aubrey).  But, as is my reason for this internship, I learned a lot of things that I didn’t know that morning, while in the same day, I got 2 free meals, had a mental debate on whether or not I should have business cards made up for myself, and realized that one thing I really need to work on is how to mingle—which I personally find really hard when I am about half the age of most everyone who is attending these business-y events, but something I must overcome nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment