Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

A Rough Start…

So as I was flying over the ocean, I kept thinking to myself, “What is the first entry I’m going to put in my blog?” because I had thought through everything else way too much already.  (And I don’t even know why I let myself get carried away like that when everything is never as I thought it would be).

IMG_7171

First I thought maybe I'd write about how everytime I fly over the ocean, the 8 hours keep seem to be getting shorter and shorter (mostly thanks to Lufthansa and the much in-flight entertainment it offers: for me, it was Iron Man 2, Letters to Juliet, and Glee), and then when a baby started wailing, I thought that maybe I'd write about how I miss the luxuries of riding in Business Class where you can stretch out all you want without having to wonder what that funky smell is only to turn your head to the side and find the bare foot of the person sitting behind you right in your face.

No!--I was going to talk about how packing those new black (and incredibly comfortable, I found out) slippers I bought before I left and decided to put in my carry-on was one of the best packing decisions I have made in my entire life.

And yet, once I had gotten on the Austrian Airlines plane, I thought I might digress on the complexities and complications of public transportation as, shortly before the departure of my flight to Vienna, I really noticed that there were extremely few people at the terminal only to find out and inform 2 other of my fellow flyers that the terminal had been changed at the last minute--thanks "Fraport" (as the Frankfurt Airport calls itself).

Or maybe I could talk about how I flagged down a (you'll be proud of me, Grandma) trustworthy Taxi and was pleased to find that I could, if a bit clumsily, exchange an in-depth conversation with the driver that extended past requesting applejuice over red wine as my gratis drink, as I did with the flight attendants earlier that day.

But, no, instead I decided to unpack and sleep.

This was, of course, after I (finally) found my apartment in the complex (thanks again for your help, cute anonymous American boy from a window of the next complex over), plunked my 70+ lb. bags down, rubbed the feeling back into my aching, blistered fingers, pulled out my computer to try to get that wireless going (Oh, how do I love wireless!), was interrupted in the process by the entrance of my new roommate, Shannon, and another intern (Adam), and the exploration of my and Shannon's new home for the next 3 months.

So, had I not been so exhausted from my personal +24 hour day, I would have gotten my blog up and running with one of those above topics. Instead, I pushed the blogging off for a day (or two, considering that I was too busy the next day because Shannon and I didn't wake up until the afternoon on Saturday and we were frantic to get something we could call breakfast before the grocery store closed).

And now you know how this 3-month adventure began...

No comments:

Post a Comment